Charlize Theron says son Jackson is 'the coolest kid ever'

Charlize Theron surprised a few people when it was revealed that she adopted a son named Jackson in March. Now, the actress has opened up a bit about her son whom she calls "the coolest kid ever."

"I've always been very honest in saying I wanted a family," she told Vogue UK in its May issue. The 36-year-old actress dons the cover of the magazine, which hits stores on April 9. "I've always known I wanted a family. I don't think my mom could wait any more!"

Theron, who grew up an only child in South Africa, had not spoken about her baby or whether she plans on raising him alone since it was initially reported that she adopted the boy. She is unmarried and is currently not linked to anyone romantically.

The actress says that as a parent she hopes "to be like my mom. Fair, tough, loving and supportive. My mom has made it possible for me to be who I am. Our family is everything. Her greatest skill was encouraging me to find my own person and own independence."

Theron grew up in a small farm town in South Africa. Her last name is pronounced "Thron" in Afrikaans, which was her first language. She was an only child. When she was 15, her mother, Gerda, shot and killed the actress' alcoholic father, Charles, in self-defense. Theron is named after him.

Theron worked as a model in Milan and also studied at the Joffrey Ballet School in New York City before she pursued an acting career. She made her official big-screen debut in 1996 with the films "2 Days in the Valley" and "That Thing You Do!." She won an Oscar for her role as a serial killer in the 2003 film "Monster."

She also appeared in the 2011 comedy movie "Young Adult," which earned her a Golden Globe nomination. Also last year, Theron finished shooting Ridley Scott's "Prometheus."

She can be seen next in "Snow White and the Huntsman." She plays the Evil Queen opposite Kristen Stewart, who stars as Snow White. The movie hits theaters on June 1. Check out a trailer and photos from the film.

Check out trailers for "Prometheus" and "Snow White and the Huntsman" below.

(Copyright 2012 OnTheRedCarpet.com. All Rights Reserved.)


Comments