Charlize Theron thankful for indie films' impact

Variety gives actress Indie Impact Award, eyes 10 new directors

PALM SPRINGS An emotional, humble and candid Charlize Theron took center stage Sunday, musing about the importance of the independent filmmaker.

The 36-year-old actress received the Indie Impact Award from Variety magazine during the trade publication's annual awards brunch at The Parker Palm Springs, joining the ranks of past honorees Mark Wahlberg and Philip Seymour Hoffman.

I don't know if I've had an impact on the indie world, Theron said upon receiving her award. But I know the indie world has had an impact on me.

Theron is the star of the much-lauded Diablo Cody film Young Adult and was recognized along with Variety's hand-picked 10 Directors to Watch.

My career could have been very different, and I know, and I feel a hundred percent sure, that I have the career that I have today because of independent filmmaking. And that coincides with independent filmmakers and I'm pointing at all of you who are here today who had the (guts) to believe in me, she said, showering the 10 Directors to Watch with her own appreciation.

Variety executive editor Steve Gaydos agreed the 10 young directors deserved praise, calling them the battery that has re-energized the film industry who just keep the heart of cinema alive.

We are only as good as the opportunities we are given, Theron said. And I can stand here and take credit for all this, but I don't own any of that. I feel blessed that people have believed in me more than I've believed in myself and have given me a path and a stage, which was independent filmmaking, to really showcase what I really wanted to do.

Then on the brink of tears, her voice a bit cracked, Theron thanked Variety: I never feel worthy of these things.

Before the near-tearful moment, the event did have light moments thanks to the comedic chemistry of Theron and her Young Adult co-star Patton Oswalt.

(Page 2 of 2)

Oswalt made Theron blush seve! ral time s, calling her the most gorgeous of the gorgeous.

Don't hide that delightful face. It's keeping the bees alive, he said to her from the stage as she sat at her table, hands over her eyes.

But as soon as Theron hit the stage, she made sure to return the favor by reminding the crowd she's been naked with Oswalt for the sex scene in Young Adult.

There's a sexy man under that suit there, she said.

Oswalt, who presented Theron with the Indie Impact Award, told The Desert Sun that he had mixed feelings about the award his co-star received.

I'm torn. I'm excited for her to get the honor because she did such a good job in Young Adult,' but what I think this honor should focus on is the fact that she's as good as she is and she's this young, Oswalt said.

He repeated that sentiment on stage to the crowd of more than 100 people, to which Theron shouted: make sure you hit the young' part.

Oswalt called Theron's work ethic like this samurai discipline that doesn't stop with just her scenes.

There were other scenes which were about me, not her where she was able to do stuff to make my performance better. That's a great actor she wants everyone in the scene to be awesome, Oswalt said.

An example he shared was when during his monologue in the woods in Young Adult Theron stuck around to watch him complete the scene.

There was no reason for her to be there. It was two in the morning, it was freezing, but she walks back into the woods to stand off-camera in my eye line and then purposely give me nothing. She didn't react to me, which was what the scene needed. It totally changed my performance, Oswalt said.

When you work with Charlize, you're working with another director. She is just as involved in every aspect of the film as the director, as the writer, in the best possible way.


Comments