Charlize Theron, 10 upcoming directors honored by Variety

Charlize Theron took center stage Sunday afternoon humbly stating that her career would be nowhere without the independent filmmaker.

The 36-year-old actress received the Indie Impact Award from Variety magazine during the trade publications annual awards brunch at The Parker Palm Springs, joining the ranks of past honorees Mark Wahlberg and Philip Seymour Hoffman.

I dont know if Ive had an impact on the indie world, Theron said upon receiving her award. But I know the indie world has had an impact on me.

Theron is the star of the much-lauded Diablo Cody film Young Adult and was recognized along with Varietys hand-picked 10 Directors to Watch.

My career could have been very different, and I know, and I feel a 100 percent sure, that I have the career that I have today because of independent filmmaking. And that coincides with independent filmmakers and Im pointing at all of you who are here today who had the guts to believe in me, she said, showering the 10 Directors to Watch with her own appreciation.

Variety executive editor Steve Gaydos agreed the 10 young directors deserved praise, calling them the battery that has re-energized the film industry who just keep the heart of cinema alive.

Its literally the highest honor you can get aside from an Oscar, said director Matt Piedmont about being recognized for his work among the caliber of talent Sunday.

Piedmonts Casa de mi Padre, a Spanish language movie featuring Will Ferrell and Diego Luna, hits theaters in March.

For the full story, read tomorrow's Desert Sun.


Comments